Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happy Trails!






I've recently been enjoying early-morning bike rides on Three Notch Trail.  Most of my previous riding was as a child when I used my bike for exploring all five streets of the small town in which I grew up.  Once I started driving, the adored bike was parked in the shed and never hit the road much after that.

My interest in riding was renewed when St. Mary's County Parks and Recreation opened Three Notch Trail.  The Trail provides a path for experiencing nature and the serenity it can bring.  Although I have ridden the Trail many times, the scenery always seems to change.  Fields of corn and soybeans give way to cool wooded areas and as the seasons change, so does the view.

I'm not alone in my enjoyment, but there is never a sense of being crowded.  The recreational trail was constructed along the 28-mile, County owned railroad right-of-way, which runs south from Hughesville (in Charles County) to Lexington Park (to the Patuxent River Naval Air Station). 

Information about Three Notch Trail
http://www.co.saint-marys.md.us/recreate/Threenotchtrail.asp

Information about Charles County trails
http://www.charlescounty.org/pf/parks_rec/parks/trails.jsp

Three Notch Trail is just one of the many ways to enjoy yourself on a visit to Brictoria Cottage at Charlotte Hall.  Remember to bring your bike or your walking shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment